The purpose of this document is to provide further troubleshooting steps when Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center users are unable to publish updates due to the 'Publishing operation failed because the console and remote server versions do not match.' error message.
Publishing updates will fail and the error 'Error Publishing '*update name*' : Publishing operation failed because the console and remote server versions do not match.' will be seen within the AutoPublish.log found in the C:\Users\*SCCM-Admin*\Shavlik\Shavlik Patch directory.
This occurs when your WSUS computer and SCUP/SCCM computer have different versions of WSUS installed (either the full install or admin console). This could be caused if you have applied a hotfix to one and not the other or simply different version (SP1 vs. SP2).
The three main resolutions we have seen are listed below:
- If Shavlik Patch is installed on the primary WSUS server and you are using Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8, then the WSUS API and the PowerShell cmdlets features must be enabled.
- If WSUS is on a remote Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 machine, then the remote admin tools feature must be installed on that machine. The version of the remote admin tools and the version of WSUS must match or you will not be able to deploy updates.
- If the primary WSUS server is running WSUS 3.0 SP2, then the WSUS 3.0 SP2 Administration Console must be installed on the same machine as Shavlik Patch. Patches KB2720211 and KB2734608 must be applied to both the WSUS server and the Configuration Manager Console machines.
Otherwise you may need to ensure that any patches applied to WSUS match on both WSUS remote server and SCCM console system.
- WSUS admin tools is part of the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT), and need to match up based on OS compatibility as well:
- RSAT for Windows 7 (on Remote System) compatible with WSUS server on Server 2008R2 or older Server OS.
- RSAT for Windows 8 (on Remote System) compatible with WSUS server on Server 2012.
- RSAT for Windows 8.1 (on Remote System) compatible with WSUS server on Server 2012 & 2012 R2.
- RSAT for Windows 10 (on Remote System) compatible with WSUS server on Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, or Windows Server 2012 R2
You can find more information about Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) in this Microsoft Technet article.
Links to download pages for RSAT:
Shavlik Patch for Microsoft System Center