The purpose of this document is to help to prepare a current Protect console and database for upgrade to a newer version of Protect, and also to provide some information about how to resolve common upgrade issues.
Preparing for Upgrade of Protect
Most issues with upgrading Protect can be avoided by ensuring that you are meeting system requirements and that proper database maintenance has been performed prior to upgrade. The list below can be used as a guide to ensure you have a successful upgrade:
- Review the System Requirements for the version of Protect you plan to install.
Refer to the document - Shavlik Protect Requirements Guide
- Review the Shavlik Protect Upgrade Guide.
- Prior to upgrade, it is recommended that you clean out as much old results as possible and perform database maintenance.
This document covers the full steps for database maintenance: DOC-23430
- The user who will perform the upgrade of the database should either be the SA for the database in SQL, or the user should at least have the following privileges for the Protect database:
Privileges required for upgrade purposes: db_securityadmin, db_ddladmin
Privileges required for all Protect users: STExec, DB_DataReader, DB_DataWriter
- If your Protect database is hosted on SQL 2005, review the document; Authentication Limitation with Protect 9.0+ and SQL 2005.
- If you plan to move/migrate your console to a different system, review the document; Migrate Shavlik Protect Console.
- There is a Migration Tool that can be used in some scenarios to move the console. Make sure to closely follow the guide for this.
Resolving Common Upgrade or Post-Upgrade Issues
If you do have an issue during the upgrade process, it's possible the issue can be resolved based on some common issues listed below:
- Error: "Installation Failed. A data conversion error has been detected during the database upgrade process."
- Protect Console Install or Upgrade fails with: This machine is managed by another console. Remove the Agent to install a Console.
- Resolving database upgrade timeout failures for Shavlik Protect
- Upgrading Protect fails with the error: Cannot create a new Service Broker in a mirrored database
- Upgrade to v9.x fails with error "Protect bootstrapper has stopped working"
- Upgrade\Installation Error, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is disabled
- Failed to commit or save the database installation. Invalid License
- Upgrade - Error - Data Conversion Error - EventSubscription
- Shavlik Protect Install/Uninstall Issues
- Upgrade to version 9 Fails with error 'This installation package could not be opened.'
- Protect Console Upgrade Fails With Errors 1603 or 1605
- How to clean up broken installs of Shavlik Protect with the Microsoft Fixit Tool
- Applies when seeing installer errors 1603, 1605, and 1612.
- Scheduled Jobs Missing from Scheduled Task Manager in Protect Console
- Scheduled Task Manager pops Error: -2080374779 - Upgrade scheduler now
- It is worth noting that the Agent Manager has been removed in version 9. All functionality is available from within Machine View.
- You can see the full list of changes in each build, here.
What to do if you face an upgrade failure you cannot resolve
If you receive an upgrade or installation failure, and you are not able to use the above resources to resolve the issue it's time to open a support case.
- Contact Support with one of the following methods:
- If possible please provide the following information:
Shavlik Protect 9.x
vCenter Protect 8.x