The purpose of this document is to provide a resolution when obtaining the error 'Cannot obtain console certificate' when attempting to schedule a scan, deploy patches, or install the Shavlik Scheduler.
Within the deployment tracker you receive the error 'Cannot obtain console certificate'. You may also see the following error within the ST.Protect.native.log file:
2009-10-07T14:01:50.1757750Z 0d8c E Deploy.cpp:2272 DeployMachine exception - class STCore::CInvalidOperationException at STScheduler.cpp:72: Cannot obtain console certificate
This issue is generally caused by the serial number within the Console certificate and the STEnvironment.config file not matching.
1. Open a command prompt by clicking the Windows button and typing 'CMD'.
2. Within the command prompt type in 'MMC'.
3. Navigate to File>Add Remove Snap-in.
4. Select Certificates from the Available snap-ins and click 'Add'.
5. Choose Computer Account and click 'Next'.
6. Choose Local Computer and click 'Finish'
7. Click 'OK' within the Add or Remove Snap-ins dialog box. You should now see 'Certificates (Local Computer)' within the 'Selected snap-ins'.
8. Expand 'Certificates', navigate to Personal>Certificates and double-click on the certificate issued by 'ST Root Authority'.
9. Click on the 'Details' tab and click on 'Serial Number' field.
10. Navigate to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect and locate the STEnvironment.config file in this directory.
Note: Please create a backup of this file prior to any changes.
11. Open the STEnvironment.config file using a text editor such as Notepad and navigate to the line: consoleCertificateSerialNumber=
12. Change the serial number to match the one in the certificate.
Note:There should be no special characters or spaces and the serial number should only contain uppercase letters.
13. Restart the Shavlik services and the console.
Shavlik Protect 9.x