When performing a scan or deployment an error occurs: GetMachineData failed.
Example of Error in ST.Protect.Native log located in the C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs folder :
2013-12-19T16:15:14.3055087Z 0330 E Deploy.cpp:1958 DeployMachine exception - class STCore::CInvalidOperationException at Deploy.cpp:1408: GetMachineData failed.
This is caused by environmental factors, and is most commonly seen when scanning/deploying across a WAN.
Because this issue is caused by environmental factors, the cause/solution will not always be the same. Here is a list of solutions that have been seen to help/fix the issue.
Note: These are suggestions based on previous customer feedback, and may or might not work for you. All suggestions are made without warranty; users assume all liability when modifying any network settings and/or devices.
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service Is Off
- Verify that the target has the Remote Procedure CAll (RPC) service started.
Using a WAN Optimizer / Riverbed Device
- In situations where a WAN Optimizer / Riverbed device are in use, these components have been seen to cause this issue.
- Things to Try
- Disable the device and try scanning/deploying.
- Set the device to pass-through / by-pass mode.
- Disable Latency Optimization in the device.
- Ensure the device's firmware is up-to-date and restarted.
- Reboot the device.
- Target is Part of Domain
- If the target is part of a domain, removing the machine from the Domain and re-adding it to the domain has been seen in some instances to correct the issue.
Related Article:HOW TO: Troubleshoot RPC Errors
Shavlik Protect 9.x