- Patch Scans stalls or freezes between step '4. Scan for Patches' and step '5. Wait for Results.'
- Scans go from '1 of 1 machine complete. 0 machines not scanned' to '0 of 0 machine complete. 0 machines not scanned'.
- Protect's ST.ServiceHost.Managed.Log contains an error such as:
- Failed to determine service pack name for product 'xxx'
- The required attribute 'Ordinal' was not found
Example of error found in the ST.ServiceHost.Managed.Log:
2013-09-20T16:52:08.7528184Z 0011 W PatchResultXmlSerializer.cs:225|Failed to determine service pack name for product 'Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008'.
This issue is caused because Protect's product detection is finding a version of an application that needs a repair/reinstall or is not supported, such as a beta or RC version of a product. The scan failing out due to this is a known defect that should be fixed in a future version of Protect.
First, ensure that you have the latest patch definitions by going to Help > About. Outdated patch definitions can cause this issue to occur. Running Help > Refresh Files should update your patch definitions.
If you continue to have the issue, it will be best to open a case directly with support. You can open a case at, http://support.shavlik.com/
If you can provide the following information at the time you open a case it will help to expedite support's ability to provide a resolution:
- Protect Console side Logs as noted in this document:
- A copy of the 'Arrivals' folder, which can be found in the following location:
- Version 9 -
- Vista & Later: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console\Arrivals
- Earlier OS's: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console\Arrivals
- Version 8 -
- Vista & Later: C:\ProgramData\Shavlik Technologies\Console\Arrivals
- Earlier OS's: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Shavlik Technologies\Console\Arrivals
- Version 9 -
If you are aware of which system may be causing the scan to fail out, it can also be helpful to obtain the following information:
- A DPD Trace of target system found to have this problem. Refer to the following document:
- An Export of the following registry keys from the target system:
Shavlik Protect 9.x