Error Message while attempting a asset scan:
[Machine Name] Cannot connect to WMI Service. It might be stopped or firewalled.
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is Disabled/Off.
- The necessary ports for an Asset scan are not accessible from the Protect Console to the Target Workstation.
- The Protect Console cannot perform proper DNS resolution to the target workstation.
- The DNS server contains multiple reverse lookup entries for the same IP Address
- WMI Services must be started for hardware asset scanning.
- Make sure IP Addresses are unique for target workstations in both the forward and reverse DNS Domain lookup
- When performing an asset scan, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service must be enabled on the target machine and the protocol allowed to the machine (TCP port 135).
- In addition to the WMI port, other ports are necessary for an Asset scan to work properly. Refer to the following document, Port Requirement for Shavlik Protect: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-2161
Protect Version: All