Test Connection attempt from a Machine Group fails.
The affected client report one of the following errors when a Test Connection is run:
- Registry reports: The network path was not found(53)
- Perfmon reports: Unable to connect to specified machine or machine is offline (-2147481648)
This can happen if the Remote Registry is not running, not responding, or if the IPC pipe is blocked by a policy or registry change.
To troubleshoot this issue:
- Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
- Find the "Remote Registry" service. Ensure the Startup Type is set to Automatic and the Status is set to Started. Start the service or change the startup type to match these values.
- If the connection still fails, restart the "Remote Registry" service and try again.
- Check the Active Directory or domains for a policy blocking access to the Remote Registry service.
- Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe ) and check the key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg
- If the key is missing, restore it by exporting a known good key from another server running the same operating system and service pack level. Restart the server.
- If the connection still fails, reboot any Active Directory domain controllers.
- Scanning a remote machine with Protect fails with Error 501 - Remote registry access denied
Protect Version: All