This document will outline the process of backing up your Shavlik Protect or Ivanti Patch for Windows Servers database.
In order to manually backup a Shavlik Protect or Ivanti Patch for Windows Servers database, please ensure SQL Server Management Studio is installed. You can download and install the latest version from here.
Using SQL Server Management Studio
- Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
- Connect to the appropriate SQL Server Instance and login with the appropriate credentials. This is either [hostname] for full SQL instances or [hostname]\SQLEXPRESS for SQL Express instances. Default authentication will be Windows Authentication.
- Expand the ‘Databases’ portion on the left hand side of the screen.
- Right click on the appropriate database name. Select ‘Tasks’ and ‘Back Up’ from the menu.
- Within the Back Up Database dialog box, the ensure the database name is ‘Protect’ and the ‘Backup Type’ is set to ‘Full’. The Backup set information may be altered per your environment but is not required as the defaults are acceptable. Within the Destination portion of this box, you may alter the backup files destination.
- Click ‘Add’ to create a new backup destination.
Please Note: When adding a backup destination you must choose a file name and associated backup extension. (i.e. backup.bat, backup.trn)
- Click ‘Remove’ to remove the current backup file path in order to add a new one.
6. Click 'OK' to create the backup file.