This document will outline the process of backing up your Shavlik Protect database.
In order to manually backup a Shavlik Protect or WMware vCenter Protect database, please ensure SQL Server Management Studio is installed. You may install it by selecting the link corresponding with your Microsoft SQL Server version below:
• SQL Server 2005 Express
Using SQL Server Management Studio
- Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
- Connect to the appropriate SQL Server Instance and login with the appropriate credentials. This is [hostname]\SQLEXPRESS by default and uses Windows Authentication.
- Expand the ‘Databases’ portion on the left hand side of the screen.
- Right click on the ‘Protect’ or 'ShavlikScans' database. Select ‘Tasks’ and ‘Back Up’ from the menu.
- Within the Back Up Database dialog box, the ensure the database name is ‘Protect’ and the ‘Backup Type’ is set to ‘Full’. The Backup set information may be altered per your environment but is not required as the defaults are acceptable. Within the Destination portion of this box, you may alter the backup files destination.
- Click ‘Add’ to create a new backup destination.
Please Note: When adding a backup destination you must choose a file name and associated backup extension. (i.e. backup.bat, backup.trn)
- Click ‘Remove’ to remove the current backup file path in order to add a new one.
6. Click 'OK' to create the backup file.