This guide will help you troubleshoot Shavlik Protect's Asset Scan feature.
Error Message while attempting a asset scan
[Machine Name] Cannot connect to WMI Service. It might be stopped or firewalled "Cannot connect to WMI Service.
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is Disabled/Off.
- The necessary ports for an Asset scan are not accessible from the Protect Console to the Target Workstation.
- The Protect Console cannot perform proper DNS resolution to the target workstation.
- The DNS server contains multiple reverse lookup entries for the same IP Address.
- Windows Firewall may have disabled the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) group rule.
You may perform the following to troubleshoot:
1) WMI Services must be started for hardware asset scanning
2) Make sure IP Addresses are unique for target workstations in both the forward and reverse DNS Domain lookup
3) When performing an asset scan, Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service must be enabled on the target machine and the protocol allowed to the machine (TCP port 135).
4) In addition to the WMI port, other ports are necessary for an Asset scan to work properly. Refer to the following document, Port Requirement for Shavlik Protect: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-2161
5) WMI may need to get flushed by doing the following:
a. Stop the WMI service
b. Delete the contents of <%WINDIR%>\System32\wbem\Repository
c.Reboot the system
6) Run a WMI diagnostic tool from Microsoft called WMIDiag. This tool can validate the state of WMI on Target Machines.
a. Run it on the Target Machine that is having a problem performing an Asset Scan. It will generate a log file and tell you the health of WMI on the Target Machine. The log file even lists what needs to be corrected.
Be sure to have followed the prerequisites guidelines:
- 9.1 - http://rs.shavlik.com/documents/Shavlik_Protect_90/ag-prt-9-1.pdf - Page 276
- 9.2 - http://rs.shavlik.com/documents/Shavlik_Protect_92/ag-prt-9-2.pdf - Pages 264 and 265
Contact the support by opening a case via the portal and provide clean logs (How To: Collect Shavlik Protect - Ivanti Patch for Windows Servers console, patch deployment and agent logs):
Shavlik Protect 9.x