A patch scan fails with the error: Error 501 - Remote registry access denied
This issue occurs if there is a network or configuration issue which prevents Protect from connecting remotely to the target machine's registry.
To resolve this issue:
- Ensure that the Remote Registry service is started on the target machine(s).
- If you are able to log in to the machine from which you are running the scan as a user with administrative rights to a target machine, test the remote registry access.
To test the remote registry access:
- Click Start > Run, type regedit, and click OK. The Registry Editor window opens.
- Click File > Connect Network Registry.
- Enter the name of the target machine as the object name and verify if you can connect and navigate to the remote registry of that machine.
- In the target machine(s), navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg registry key, add \"LOCAL SERVICE\" to the key, and give it the READ access.
- Make sure File and Print Sharing Services are enabled and started.
- If you are deploying to Windows 10 machines with this error, please check out this document Error Code 501 When Scanning Windows 10 After Remote Registry Service Has Been Enabled On Client Machine
- Other customer have reported they needed to set the Remote Registry to automatic and start the service via GPO. Try enabling this setting.
If the preceding steps do not resolve the issue, it is possible that the policy setting is limiting access to the remote registry of the target machine(s). To resolve this issue, contact your network administrator.
For more information on managing remote access to the registry, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 314837.
Shavlik Protect 9.x