- You send a command to the agent and it immediately responds with:
Error Status: Agent didn't respond
- You have verified port 4155 is open from the Protect server to the target agent machine.
- The target agent is installed and able to run tasks when initiated by scheduled tasks or manual client-side execution.
- After attempting to send a command to the agent from the Protect console, you see an error in the STAgent.log file on the target machine:
Rejected command not from our registered console.
Note: The agent logs are located at:
For Windows XP/2003: C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\Shavlik Technologies\Logs
For Windows 7/Vista/2008: C:\ProgramData\Shavlik Technologies\Logs
- You run the STMgmt.exe -test_console command from the console and see the message:
[Console Certificate Contains Console Id] ==> Warning
This issue can occur when changes have been made to the Protect Console machine. Changes include renaming the Console machine, changing the MAC address, and changing the Machine SID.
To resolve this issue:
- Using a text editor, open the STEnvironment.config file on the Protect server. It is located in the Protect install directory.
Note: VMware recommends that you back up the STEnvironment.config file before doing any modifications. When modifying a config file, ensure you modify only the variables specified or unintended product behavior may result.
- Find the Console ID. The Console ID is located in a line similar to:
- Click Start > Run, type mmc, and press Enter.
- Click File > Add/Remove Snap in.
- Select Certificates and click Add.
- Select Computer Account and click Finish.
- On the next screen, click Finish.
- Click OK, then expand Certificates on the next screen.
- Navigate to Personal > Certificates and look for a certificate issued by ST Root Authority.
- Double-click the certificate to open it, then click the Details tab.
- Locate the certificate Console ID in the Subject field. It appears similar to:
CN = d7d2076d-a7ce-435e-a53c-2a81dc3ae6ec
- Compare the certificate Console ID and the Console ID found in STEnvironment.config. If the IDs do not match, the certificate Console ID must be copied into the STEnvironment.config file:
- Copy the certificate Console ID.
- Paste the ID into the STEnvironment.config file, replacing the original ID. Ensure that the ID is surrounded by quotation marks. For example:
- Save and close the STEnvironment.config file.
- To verify, send a command from the console to the agent again.